Become A Swim Instructor and Save Lives!
Earn a $300 sign-on bonus upon achievement of your lifeguard certification provided you are an active employee working as a lifeguard or swim instructor at the time of payout.
Come work at the Fry Family YMCA, a leading community-focused nonprofit membership center located in Naperville, IL! We are looking to hire part-time Swim Instructors who love swimming and most importantly want to keep our community swimmers safe.
We don’t just teach people how to swim – we teach children and adults how to stay safe in and around the water – and we’ve been doing it for 130+ years!
Swim Instructors are a key member of the Aquatics team that provides group and private swim lessons for program participants that adheres to YMCA standards for curriculum, instructional quality, safety, certifications and other requirements. This includes ensuring an outstanding experience for each program participant and creating safe, welcoming environment that ensures the physical and emotional well-being of program participants, members and guests.
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Effectively implements YMCA swim curricula for various levels and populations depending on class needs as outlined by the standards of the YMCA.
- Prepares progressive lesson plans to enhance the experience of program participants.
- Prepares reports and maintains records, including attendance records, skills sheets, progress reports, etc.
- Enforces aquatic rules and policies by maintaining constant surveillance of class participants.
- Acts as a primary responder in case of injury, accident, or illness in pool area and provides backup to lifeguards as needed in emergencies and crowd control.
- Reports injuries and completes required forms.
- Sets up facility or equipment, and stores equipment upon completion of class. Immediately notifies supervisor of any broken equipment or unsafe aspects of the pool.
- Attends all in-service trainings and staff meetings as scheduled by supervisor or center leadership.
- Maintains job-related certifications and documents completion of certifications in the HR information system
- Supports the mission and vision of the YMCA as assigned
- Provides leadership to other team members (Level 3)
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- Current certification YMCA Swim Lessons or ARC Water Safety Instructor, CPR, First Aid, AED and Oxygen certification or must successfully complete the YMCA’s Aquatics Academy training program resulting in certification.
- Passion for working with diverse youth and ability to provide a high-quality of instruction using age-appropriate practices
- Physical mobility to properly use aquatic equipment to rescue a 200 lb. person.
- Must be mentally alert to dangerous situations in order to assure the safety of all swimmers.
- Must be physically and mentally able to respond to emergencies and administer CPR and First Aide effectively.
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Team competencies in previous experience or practice
- Meets physical qualifications required for certification in job
What we offer:
- Flexible hours
- Casual work environment
- Family oriented center
- Easily accessible commute
- YMCA Membership, discounted programs, and much more!
YMCA Vaccine Policy
We’re committed to the health and wellness of our employees, members, program participants, and those most vulnerable. If hired by the YMCA, you will be required to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination no later than your start date unless an exemption for a medical condition or sincerely-held religious beliefs is granted.
Be part of our mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families, and communities across Metropolitan Chicago through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, fitness, and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment, and energy of our teachers and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Child Abuse Prevention:
- Supports the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Reporting any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor
- Following all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children
- Reporting any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor
- Completing all child abuse prevention training as required
Education Level : Not Applicable
Experience Level : Entry Level
Job Function : General
Job Description : Swim Instructors are a key member of the Aquatics team that provides group and private swim lessons for program participants that adheres to YMCA standards for curriculum, instructional quality, safety, certifications and other requirements. This includes ensuring an outstanding experience for each program participant and creating safe, welcoming environment that ensures the physical and emotional well-being of program participants, members and guests.
Company/ Organization Name : Fry Family YMCA
How to Apply : https://careers-ymcachicago.icims.com/jobs/13854/swim-instructor/job