The Naperville Area Chamber of Commerce has one goal: to move Business Forward toward an engaged, thriving community by being Your Advocate and Your Resource for Our Community. To support us in the accomplishment of this goal, we have a have a full-time Director of Government Affairs able to focus on vital policy issues and economic developments impacting our businesses as well as our community as a whole.
The public policy intern will support the NACC advocacy efforts by supporting the director government affairs by tracking and researching policy issues at the local, state and federal level and to educate member businesses and influence policy.
Company name: Naperville Area Chamber of Commerce
Internship title: NACC Public Policy Intern
Location: Remote, though some in-person opportunities available
Internship Start and End Date: September 1- December 31, 2020 with opportunity to continue
Expected hours per week: 8 hours per week
Name and Title of Internship Supervisor: Director of Government Affairs, Reba Osborne
INTERN WILL LEARN AND BE EXPOSED TO:
· General understanding of federal and state policy landscape impacting commerce and economic develop including but not limited to: federal stimulus for businesses, data privacy, climate, DE&I, taxation, international trade, etc.
· Grassroots lobbying strategies and coalition building fundamentals
· Build network of potential leads for future employment
· Research policy issues, current bills in play and best practices
· Write briefs/position statements based on research findings
· Assist with planning advocacy events
· Provide support for the Business Works Committee (legislative affairs entity of NACC)
· College student with experience in completing quality research and sound data analysis of complex issues
· Political Science or Public Affairs major preferred
· Self-starter and organized with tight deadlines
· Excellent written communication skills
SCHEDULE AND COMPENSATION
8 hours per week but hours times and dates may vary based on timing of events, etc. ). This is a mostly remote position, though there will be opportunities for some in person interaction. This is a volunteer internship, no financial compensation is provided.
We’re not just a networking club…. We’re a thinking organization.
The Naperville Area Chamber of Commerce is the largest suburban Chamber in Illinois with an active membership of 1,200 organizations of every size and from every sector. The NACC promotes economic growth and advocacy in and around the Naperville area. For its efforts in promoting free enterprise and the business community, the Chamber has been recognized with 5-Star Accreditation from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, an honor bestowed on only 1 percent of Chambers, out of the nearly 7,000 in the nation. Visit www.naperville.net